Wednesday, January 10, 2007

New Years Resolution

This year I have resolved to photograph all of the knitted items that I have finished. Not just cast off, but acutally finished - blocked, seams sewn, ends woven in, etc. Once I made the decision to take all these photos, I wondered what I would do with them. Most of the knitters I know post photos of their knitting on their blogs, but I didn't have a blog. Then I thought, maybe it is time to finally start my own blog. So, here it is, in all it's glory.

Last year I resolved to keep a knitting journal (I didn't make the resolution until August, but that doesn't really matter). The important thing is that I did pretty good. I recorded in my journal about 50% of all the projects I started. I kept track of the yarn, needle size, gauge, pattern corrections/changes, etc. Of the 50% that I didn't record in the journal, I noted the information on the pattern and kept all the patterns in a folder. There have been a few items that were knitted up and sent off to their new homes so quickly that they were never recorded, but for the most part, I did pretty good. It was hard to force myself to stop knitting and write the info down, but I pushed on through. A few weeks passed before I realized the benefit of keeping a journal. I was about to cast on the 2nd sock of a pair, the 1st sock was finished weeks ago, and I didn't remember any of the details. Normally I would have to "read" the 1st sock and figure out what I did, but this time all the info was there in my journal. Wow! That was easy! All the time I saved not having to figure out the pattern was quickly turned into extra knitting time. Bonus!

I hope that photographing all of my finished knitting will turn out to be as beneficial as keeping a journal has been. At least it is a resolution that I think I can keep. Resolutions such as, only knitting from stash yarn, or not buying new yarn unless I need it for a specific pattern, or not having more than 4 different socks on the needles at the same time, I just don't see the point. The way I see it, if I failed (which I would) I would feel bad because I failed and if I succeed (which I would not) I would feel bad because now I have less yarn, or missed out on that great deal on the sale yarn that I would have eventually found a use for, or I just have fewer socks! Either way, I lose. I prefer my resolution because if I fail, my knitting is not going to suffer from it and if I succeed, at the very least, I will end up with lots of pictures of my knitting and have found a place to put them!

So, wish me luck. Now, I just have to figure out how to post photos.

No comments: