Friday, January 12, 2007

Maybe it's not Second Sock Syndrome

I thought I too suffered from second sock syndrome, but the other night I realized that might not be the case. I usually have 3-4 different socks on the needles at any given time (but then again I usually also have 2-3 sweaters, a shawl/wrap and a few misc. items on the needles as well). I really do enjoy knitting socks and once I have completed a sock I feel so good about myself and my work. Socks have very little finishing (finishing really bogs me down) and I like grafting the toes, it is wonderful how perfectly the graft disappears, I love it every time (that's not too weird, is it?) When I have finished a sock I feel such satisfaction, I almost can't wait to cast on the second one. So why don't I? It's not because I don't like the pattern, I have no problem ripping out a pattern I don't like to knit, and it's not because I don't like the yarn, I wouldn't have been able to finish the first sock. Must be that dreaded second sock syndrome. But then again, maybe it's not...

The other night, I finished a wonderful sock. My son gave me the most wonderful alpaca yarn for Christmas, it is so soft! It is a thicker yarn than I usually use for socks so I had to make a trip to my LYS (darn) to get size 4 dpns and I had to rip them about three times to get the right thickness and fit, but finally they were finished and they were perfect! I admired the finished sock for a few minutes and then placed it in my knitting bag. I reached in to get the yarn to start the second sock and that's when I heard something. I looked at my husband, "Did you hear that?" He was in a zombie like T.V. watching trance, "huh?" He didn't hear it. I looked around the room and there on top of the bookshelf was a small basket of the yarn I received for Christmas (O.K. it was more of a medium sized basket, jam packed and overflowing with yarn from Christmas and I few skeins I picked up when I got the size 4 needles). Anyway, the sound, it was the yarn! I swear it was calling to me! "Wait, try me, I'm new, try me!" I responded (not out loud, of course) "No, I already have a sock on #0's and two different socks on #1's. You still need to be wound into a ball and I need some #3's for you guys." I turned my head away to show my resolve and that's when I noticed the closet light had been left on. Great, a distraction, just what I needed. I opened the door and leaned in to turn off the light and there on the counter where I wrap presents was this lonely ball of baby blue yarn. "How did you get there?" I thought. I instinctively picked it up, I guess to put it with the other yarn so it didn't look so lonely, "oh, your soft" I thought. Then I remembered a friend that was going to have a baby in two days, maybe I should make a hat? I sat down, grabbed my #2's and did a quick gauge swatch. Perfect! I quickly did the math and cast on the hat, and the sock, well you knew what was going to happen.

I think this is probably very similar to what happens to most sock knitters. I also have realized that blaming it on Second Sock Syndrome just might be a better idea than trying to explain to people (especially those who don't knit), "It was the voices that made me do it."



By the way, here is the hat. Oh, and tiny little mittens, they were just too cute once I pictured them in my head, I had to knit them as well.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hi - I love that hat. I would really love to have that pattern to knit for my baby that's on the way!! do you know where I could get that pattern? If so please email me at hobartjane@gmail.com. Thank you so much! Very cute set.