Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'm back.

Things have been crazy around here so there has been no time for blogging, thankfully there has still been plenty of time for knitting. So, lets get right to it.

These socks were an accident - I didn't plan to knit them but a recent field trip with my knitting group resulted in my "to do" list being pretty much thrown out the window!

Pattern: Elegant Ribbed Stockings by Ann Budd from Favorite Socks.
Yarn: Artyarns Ultramerino 6 in color #144 and Blue Moon Fiber Arts Heavyweight in Black onyx for the heel & toe.
Needles: #2 dpns for cuff, heel & toe - #1 dpns for foot.

I never knit with this yarn before so I was excited to give it a try. Turns out, I loved it! The colors are wonderful (you can't really tell from this picture, I gotta work on that) gently blended shades of brown and black and a blueish grey. Just perfect for a guy, so it was not surprising that my guys all wanted them (also no surprise, Dad won). The yarn itself is soft and squishy and knitted up nice and thick.

The pattern was great too, I don't remember finding any errors but I did finish these a while ago so I might have forgotten. I chose to omit the eyelet round (too girly) and make the leg shorter (it's long enough). I weighed the sock once I finished the leg because it seemed like I had used a lot of yarn and I was right. The cuff alone was 24 g. and I only had 100 g. No way I was gonna make it, so I added the BMFA yarn for the heel and toe. The colors match up nicely and the heavyweight is a bit thicker which works great for the heel and toe. I went down to size #1 needles for the foot and was able to finish the pair with a whopping 4.5' of the ultramerino left.

Well, there is plenty more but I'm out of time for now. More to come.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Those look great! I love the contrast heel and toe.